I got the Oreck XL deluxe as a hand-me-down from my grandparents and have not been too impressed with it. I think size and weight on the machine are great, it has two speeds which is nice, but it feels like it lacks any sort of power. It misses little pieces of paper or sock fuzz on the carpeting and just does not seem to suck like it should.
I decided to invest in a Dyson DC14 Full Kit model to replace it and was happy that I did.
Side by side the vacuums are similar in price, and that is about where it ends.
The Oreck XL is better than the Dyson for only the following 4 reasons:
- It is a much lighter vacuum and is easier to carry around and store.
- The Oreck has a headlight which may sound stupid, but it seems to help when you are in a corner or against a dark wall.
- The Oreck can actually fit under cabinets and under some furniture. This is where the perks end however.
- The Oreck has adjustable power settings, high and low.
Here is how the Dyson is a better vacuum than the Oreck XL:
- The Dyson has MASSIVE power. Here are pictures of all the extra junk my Dyson picked up from my recently Oreck vacuumed carpeting.
- The Dyson has onboard hoses and attachments to make it a much more versatile vacuum. You can clean stairs, hardwood floors, dust, etc.
- The Dyson looks cooler. It looks like Oreck changed some of the colors of their XL, but it is still the same base vacuum that they have been pushing for 20 years. It is a modern design that actually has great performance enhancements over older vacuums.
- The Dyson does not use bags.
- The Dyson is quieter than the Oreck.
- The Dyson has a longer cord.
I would say my Dyson is 3 times the vacuum of my Oreck, and I would recommend getting a refurbished Dyson DC14 over a new Oreck XL any day of the week. They are very similar in price and I think the suction pictures speak for themselves in the area of suction and performance.
If you are interested in more about the Dyson DC14, you can read my full review of the Dyson DC14 Full Kit, read about the available accessories for DC14 series, or look at all the different Dyson DC14 vacuum kits available.